It has been particularly cold lately throughout the U.S., so we thought now would be an excellent time to post a few reminders on preparing your water pipes for the winter, if you haven’t done so already.
• Disconnect and drain outdoor hoses
• Insulate pipes or faucets in unheated areas
• Consider installing “heat tape” or “heat cable”
• Seal off access doors, air vents and cracks
• Find the master shutoff valve
• Check with your water company
These tips are straight from the Caring for Pipes page on DrinkTap.org. For more tips and information on how to winterize water pipes, visit that page.