Don’t forget – The National Ground Water Association’s Protect Your Groundwater Day is coming up on Sept. 10. You may remember we wrote about this celebration two months ago, and now it’s here!
For this celebrated day, the National Ground Water Association is encouraging others to ACT – acknowledge, consider and take action. We need to acknowledge the causes of preventable groundwater contamination, consider what actions might apply to us to prevent it and then take action to prevent it. To further help you celebrate, here are a few ideas for how you personally can help protect our groundwater supplies:
- Don’t overuse pesticides or fertilizers as they can travel through runoff and soil and contaminate ground water.
- Dispose of used motor oil properly. One quart of motor oil can contaminate more than 250,000 gallons of water.
- Use detergents that are phosphate-free to save our lakes and streams.
- Join in a beach, stream or wetlands cleanup project.
- Properly dispose of prescription medications and other products that are too often flushed into the wastewater system and out to the environment.
Enjoy Protect Your Groundwater Day!